10 Iconic American Things With Foreign Roots
Even though baseball is known as America’s pastime, the game’s origins can be traced all the way back to before the United States was even a country.
The earliest known reference to baseball was in a 1744 British publication called A Little Pretty Pocket-Book by John Newbery. In it, Newbery describes a game called “base-ball”, with a woodcut illustration showing a field similar to the modern game, only triangular as opposed to diamond-shaped, and posts instead of ground bases. Other very likely influences are British bat-and-ball games of rounders and cricket.
All of these were brought over to the New World by colonists and immigrants, leading to the development of the game we know today.
- Top 10 Youngest World Supermodels
- 10 Most Expensive Perfumes In The World
- 10 Fun Facts About the Klu Klux Klan
- Playboy’s 10 Sexiest Playmate Winners of All Time
- Vladimir Putin: Craziest Life Facts to Know
- Things you didn’t know about Trump’s Son Barron
- The Hottest Celebrities in Body Paint
- Incredible Celebrity Makeup Transformations – Top Ten
- The Darker Side of Adult Industry Revealed
- 10 Dark Secrets Of Famous Historical Figures
- Top 10 Things Kanye Wants Kim Kardashian to Change
- Celebrity Pics Before and After Dental Surgery