10 Iconic American Things With Foreign Roots
Even though baseball is known as America’s pastime, the game’s origins can be traced all the way back to before the United States was even a country.
The earliest known reference to baseball was in a 1744 British publication called A Little Pretty Pocket-Book by John Newbery. In it, Newbery describes a game called “base-ball”, with a woodcut illustration showing a field similar to the modern game, only triangular as opposed to diamond-shaped, and posts instead of ground bases. Other very likely influences are British bat-and-ball games of rounders and cricket.
All of these were brought over to the New World by colonists and immigrants, leading to the development of the game we know today.
- 10 Dark Secrets Of Famous Historical Figures
- 10 Celebrities With Lifetime Bans From Hotels
- Vladimir Putin: Craziest Life Facts to Know
- The Shocking Details of Marilyn Monroe Death
- The Hottest Celebrities in Body Paint
- Top 10 Things Kanye Wants Kim Kardashian to Change
- The Darker Side of Adult Industry Revealed
- 10 Nazi Inventions Still in Use Today
- Things you didn’t know about Trump’s Son Barron
- Beyonce and Jay Z luxury lifestyle
- Incredible Celebrity Makeup Transformations – Top Ten
- Top 10 Custom Air Jordans