10 Iconic American Things With Foreign Roots
Democracy is why the President of the United States is called the leader of the free world, the reason George Washington fought for independence (no taxation without representation) and the gold standard that the United States has set for the rest of the Western world.
History buffs will know that the idea of giving the common folk a voice dates all the way back to Ancient Greece. The person who most deserves to be called the father of democracy is an Athenian noble by the name of Cleisthenes, who helped draft the first democratic constitution in 508B.C. Even though the state of Athens was big on slavery and gender inequality, Cleisthenes’ work helped set in motion the ideas that would shape the United States of America and the Western world for centuries.
Source: The Democratic Experiment(bbc.co.uk)
- The Life of Human Barbie
- The Hottest Celebrities in Body Paint
- 10 Most Expensive Perfumes In The World
- 10 Dark Secrets Of Famous Historical Figures
- The Darker Side of Adult Industry Revealed
- Celebrity Pics Before and After Dental Surgery
- Vladimir Putin: Craziest Life Facts to Know
- Things you didn’t know about Trump’s Son Barron
- Playboy’s 10 Sexiest Playmate Winners of All Time
- Incredible Celebrity Makeup Transformations – Top Ten
- Top 10 Youngest World Supermodels
- 10 Fun Facts About the Klu Klux Klan